Kadamakkudy or Kadamakudy to do list
Welcome to the Kadamakkudy alias Kadamakudy to do list. Things to do at Kadamakkudy is an ever growing list of things one can do at Kadamakkudy, prepared based on my frequent visits to Kadamakkudy Islands dating back to year 2010. . No two days are same at Kadamakkudy, especially for the nature photographer and for the bird watcher. It has something new to offer almost every single trip.
When people ask me about what to do at Kadamakkudy, I find it very difficult to answer, as there are many things one can do at Kadamakkudy depending on the interests of the visitor. Again this depends on the time of the year, and even the time of the day, you are visiting Kadamakkudy.
If you want to enjoy the basking glory of the nature when the sun rises and sets you must be there either early in the morning (5.30 am to 7.30 am) or in the evening between 5.30 pm and 7.30 pm. If you are a nature photographer, these are the golden hours.
But then, if you are interested in bird watching and photography, then these timings are not good as there wont be enough light to capture them. For that the ideal time would be from 8 am to 12 pm.
If you want to just laze around, doing nothing, then evenings are good.
If you enjoy cycling, running or walking then both mornings and evenings are equally good.
The toddy shops start serving fresh stock of toddy by around 11 am onward
Kadamakkudy is still a virgin tourist spot, which is very rustic in nature. The facilities for the tourist is almost nil. There are no good hotels nearby. There are no public toilets as well. The nearest town is Chettibhagam (Varapuzha) which is approximately three kilometers before reaching Kadamakkudy. Hence, one must be well prepared before coming to Kadamakkudi. In my view, this raw nature of Kadamakkudy is it’s beauty as well. One can be away from the busy world, at least for a while.
The Kadamakkudy to do List
- First and foremost thing to do is to be a socially responsible visitor to Kadamakkudy. You can demonstrate your social responsibility by;
- Not littering, as it pollutes the environment and it poisons the water in the fish farms
- Not making too much noise, as it frightens off the migratory birds
- Wear mask
- Maintain social distancing
- Drive / ride slow
- Be polite and friendly with the friendly locals
- Avoid alcohol and drug consumption at public places
- Do not smoke cigarettes, it is prohibited in public places all along Kerala
- Enjoy the sunrise at Kadamakudy – Must reach Kadamakudy before 6.30 a.m for enjoying the sunrise.
- Cycle, walk around through the paddy fields / Chemmeen kettu – Try to finish it before 10 a.m during summer.
- Experience the toddy shop – Opens by 11.am. There are two toddy shops. One on the main road and the other is near the Kadamakudy junction (near temple), which is considered as the better one.
- Buy fish, crab, prawns from the local fishermen, Chinese fishing nets or from the local market, and get it cooked in Kerala style. Have it for lunch. Contact me
- Take the ferry services to the nearby islands
- Do fishing
- Do bird watching and bird photography. Kadamakkudy has more than 70 species of birds. Do not dress in bright colors. Carry binoculars. Carry a cap and drinking water. Walk through the narrow mud roads connecting to the main rod quietly and you will see them.
- Laze around the banks of Veeranpuzha (river)
- Enjoy the sunset at Kadamakudy. Sunsets are beautiful at Kadamakkudy especially between the months of October and April. The best time is between 5.30 pm and 7 p.m. Very often Kadamakkudy is very beautiful immediately after the sunset. So, do not rush back as soon as the sun sets. If you are with family, it is better to leave the place before it gets very dark.
- Go to Cherai beach and enjoy the sea and the sunset. Cherai beach is hardly 10km away from Kadamakkudy.
- I enjoy lazy cycling without any hurry, at very low speed, to stop as soon as any bird is spotted, watch them, photograph them.
- Another super experience of mine at Kadamakkudy is my morning meditations at Kadamakkudy. Just sit somewhere in Kadamakkudy comfortably. Inhale and exhale. Be mindful. Try to concentrate on your breathing alone…soon you will get immersed in the beautiful sounds of birds which you do not hear otherwise. No music system can replace that experience. Adore the creator. Be grateful for everything….Soon you will start conversing with God….or you feel God’s embrace. I call it is Holy communion with God at Kadamakkudy Islands. The only prerequisite is time to sit and relax.
- Enjoy the Kettukaazhcha during the last week of every year
- Rent a boat and cruise through the backwaters around Kadamakkudy Islands. Contact Biju Phone : 9633248862
- If you are a non-vegetarian, then enjoy the beef with kappa (tapioca) at the S.K. Hotel, a tiny one, on the banks of river periyar. If you call Jose Kuttan (proprietor) in advance, he will be able to provide you lunch or dinner with the local delicacies of your choice like crab, prawns, karimeen etc. Just call him a day in advance. His phone number is 9995852322.
- Experience toddy and shappu curry at the Kadamakkudy toddy shop (kallu shop)
- Have kallummakai fry at the kadamakkudy toddy shop
- Enjoy Kayaking at Kadamakudy Islands
- Another option for great local cuisine is the Periyar hotel. Now they have a branch inside the Blue bazar shopping village, just before reaching the varapuzha bridge, on the right side, while coming from the Edappally side towards the bridge. It is easier to drive into the Blue Bazar shopping village, when you go back from Kadamakudy to Edappally side, as you get it on the left side of the road.
- Forest bathing – I go to Kadamakkudy to relax and the best way to relax at Kadamakkudy is to get away from the mainland and meditate amidst nature. You do it for 30 minutes, immediately you will experience the benefits. If you are looking forward to experience the beauty of slow living in and around Kadamakkudy, I will be able to guide you. I call it as the art of doing nothing.
- Join Aby on his cycling tour of the islands of Kadamakkudy, thus add purpose to pleasure.
Things you should not do at Kadamakkudy
- Do not litter. Let us maintain Kadamakkudy Islands as a plastic free zone
- Do not throw anything into the backwaters, especially bottles and other waste
- Reduce noise.Kadamakkudy Islands is the habitat for many migratory and local birds. Now their numbers are reducing as Kadamakkudy is fast becoming a tourst hub. Do not make too much noise as it will scare away the birds.
- Ride your vehicles at slow speed, to avoid accidents to self and others, and to reduce noise pollution.
- Do not ride without helmets. Accidents are increasing here. If you are riding any type of two wheeler including cycle, wear helmet.
- Do not get into watersports without safety jackets and trained guides
- Say no to drugs. Like every other tourist destination, Kadamakkudy also has the presence of drug abusers. Do not fall into it.
List of Birds photographed by me at Kadamakkudy
- White throat Kingfisher
- Common Kingfisher
- Whistling Duck
- Grey Heron
- Swamp hen
- Brahmini kite
- Brown Kite
- Magpie Robin
- Spotted redshank (Tringa erythropus)
- Black necked Stork
Master list of bird sightings at Kadamakudy or Kadamakkudy
List of Birds spotted by me at Kadamakudy
Little Ringed Plover
Indian Golden Oriole
Western Yellow Wagtail